Once again we are offering a full day cemetery research workshop at the Eugene Masonic Cemetery in Hope Abbey Mausoleum. Preregistration and payment is required as space is limited.
Date: Saturday, August 19, 2017
Time: 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM with 30 minutes for lunch
Fee: $25 members, $30 nonmembers
Where: Hope Abbey Mausoleum
Eugene Masonic Cemetery
25th Ave and University St
Eugene, OR 97405
Bring: Beverages for the day in containers with a lid, sack lunch, snacks, and wear multiple layers of clothing as Hope Abbey is very cool and it may be very hot outside.
Topics covered include:
- The types of cemeteries and the different ways cemeteries are laid out.
- How to locate and research a cemetery.
- Finding a grave once you find the cemetery.
- Finding the sexton or person who has the records.
- Planning a cemetery research trip.
- What records are involved and obtaining copies.
- How to locate someone’s grave in the cemetery.
- Drawing a map of the lot noting the layout of the graves and headstones.
- How to take photographs so you can read the information in the photo without touching the headstone.
- The variety of materials used for creating headstones and grave markers.
- The meaning of symbols on the headstones.
- The dos and don’ts of proper behavior in a cemetery.
- What not to do to a headstone.
- A tour of the Eugene Masonic Cemetery to show them the variety of headstones and footstones, symbols, lot borders, and fencing.
To register, email Dawn Carlile
and stop by the library to pay the registration fee or mail it to OGS, 955 Oak Alley, Eugene, OR 97401.
Saturday, October 28th, 2017. Additional information is available on the "Seminar" page.